STRIVE Forward Juvenile Justice Initiative focuses on supporting and addressing the educational and employment barriers faced by court-involved youth while helping them attain life skills and in-demand occupational and employment skills needed to obtain livable wage jobs.
Core Program components include:
- Workforce activities
- Positive youth development groups
- Career mentoring
- Service learning projects
- Occupational skills training leading to industry recognized credentials
- Internship and job placement
- Case management
- Expungement and diversion services
benefits of the program
The program begins with a three-week Future Leaders workshop and meets three days per week for four hours each day. Participants then move into the Occupational Skill Training portion of the initiative. Certificates include: CPR; First Aid; OSHA 10; Microsoft 10; and Home Builders Institute (HBI) Pact Certification.
Career mentors assist with service learning projects, resume writing, interview training, job shadowing, and/or internship and job placement. Some of the fields for service learning projects include: building trades; healthcare; information technology; and office administration.
For orientation dates, potential participants should contact Gina Dauzat at (619) 839-0948.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, PARTICIPANTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Between the ages of 14-24 years on the date of enrollment.
- Currently involved in, or have been involved with, the Juvenile Justice System, including alternatives to incarceration programs such as a juvenile diversion program.
- Never been convicted as an adult under federal, state or local/municipal law.
- Currently reside in Southeast or City Heights communities (determined by census tracking).
how to help
- Apply to be a mentor.
- Provide internships, job opportunities, job leads in building trades, healthcare, information technology or office administration.
- Underwrite celebration activities and/or incentives. Celebration activities range from a group party, to an individual congratulatory lunch or gift card. (These activities are not covered under current funding.)
- If you are an individual or company interested in mentoring, providing internships, job leads or job opportunities, contact Gina Dauzat at (619) 839-0948.
- To make a monetary donation, click "Donate Today" below.