OUR MISSION: TO DISRUPT THE CYCLES OF INCARCERATION AND POVERTY BY HELPING PEOPLE FIND THEIR WAY TO SELF-SUFFICIENCY.
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1993, Second Chance strives to ensure all members of our community have the means to achieve self-sufficiency, regardless of age, race, or criminal history. In other words, whether one struggles with addiction, incarceration, homelessness, a family history of criminal behavior or gang involvement, or you just took a wrong turn in life, Second Chance can help you find your way to a positive, successful future.
DID YOU KNOW?
- The U.S. represents 5% of the world’s population, but 25% of its prison population.
- In 1980, there were 300,000 adults in U.S. prisons. Today, there are 2,300,000.
- 1 in every 28 children has a parent in jail or prison.
- More than 2,500 juveniles in the U.S. are serving life in prison without possibility of parole. The U.S. and Somalia are the only two countries in the world that sentence minors to life.
- Since 1980, CA has built 23 new prisons - and 1 college.